Thursday, September 18, 2008

Wake Me Up, Before You Go Go

Time at Yio Chu Kang Station: 605pm.

It was another start of a 37 min MRT ride from YCK to Jurong East. I don't know why, but I have always enjoyed deep sleep on MRT trains and I was exceptionally exhausted today. Even with bustling commuters around me, the short nap perks me up to continue the rest of my long journey home.

I must have dozed off at Yew Tee. It will be another good 10min before I need to alight at JE to change to the west bound train to Boon Lay~
"Bukit Gombak" came the next announcement. Subconsciously, I thought I heard this announcement twice. I opened my eyes and the train was packed right to its brim. Cannot be. Just now at Yew Tee, the train was only half full. What is happening? Time: 700pm. I got up fast and squeezed past the sardines of people in front of me to alight.

I wonder how I could have missed the lengthy announcement made when train is approaching JE station; and what I would have done if I see a lady sleeping through a terminal station. Maybe my fellow commuters were too eager to hussel out of the train. Maybe the train was so packed that I merged perfectly with the mad rush of incoming batch of passengers. Or maybe I look like one of those who rushed into the train to grap for a seat, just to fall IMMEDIATELY asleep.

Maybe Singaporeans just don't have time to notice people around them anymore.

Maybe my expectation is too high.

No comments: