Saturday, September 6, 2008

I Love Home Cooked Food

Today, I had my first taste of home cooked food during lunch, in more than a week. Actually it is just a simple porridge meal with chicken, fish and vegetables. No extraordinary ingredients. But it tasted very special.

Mum was sick since last Friday; she was down with a very serious cough, flu, fever and sore throat. In fact, she was so delirious that I thought she has some mild memory loss and slight hallucination. What was worst was she has multiple allergies to drugs like penicillin/panadol. We suspected she got the flu virus from Dad, who just recovered less than 3 days ago. It was a costly oversight on my side for not quarantining them at night, as her immunity is very low due to the multiple drugs she is taking. I MUST remember to do that next time.

The first GP we see didnt seem to alleviate her condition much. Desperate as she still had bouts of fever, we went to her oncologist since she will know what kind of medicine goes well with her routine drugs.True enough, the $300 (!!!) fees for medicine + consultation worked magic on her, though she still took nearly 6 days to regain proper strength and vitality. On Thursday, she starting her daily nagging again, and even managed to go for her regular KTV session. Amitaba~


But for the past week, I suffered big time. Both me and Dad cannot even hold kitchen utensils well, so we dont want to make ourselves suffer even more by cooking. Two of the days, I had my packed dinner at a nearby hawker with Dad and one evening's dinner was spent at "Kou Fu" in NYP. Other days I ate with Desmond after work. And I must really say that the hawkers in Singapore really need to work on their recipes to cook up a proper "balanced" meal. Their high carbohydrates and protein dishes certainly dont work well on me.

I am the sort who cant live without plenty of greens on my plate. And the amount of veges I took for the whole week may be equivalent to what I took for lunch today. I also find myself walking aimlessly. without an idea in mind for dinner, looking for nutritious food. I cannot imagine if I ever need to do this on a long term basis. Maybe I should seriously start learning to cook.

So glad that she is well and up now; and of course has resumed her head-chef status. Will be dining at home tonight too. And I am very looking forward.

1 comment:

smelicat said...

Hey Qiaohe! Nice seeing you here.

Please send all my best wishes to Auntie. It's good to know she is healthy. :)