Friday, September 5, 2008

My Love Affair with Scrapbooks

I did not expect to fall in love this way.

Especially when this is a rather costly hobby, and also demands a lot of time and concentration. I inherited my first set of tools and "scraps" from my sis in May, and it initially started as pastime as time was in indeed in my hands. And believe me, my first scraps was horrendous. What you see below is an improved version from the inaugurate.



I guess in the end it was the motivation to complete my first anniversary present for Desmond which persevered me to the end, completing about 30 pages of scrapbooks in almost a month. But my pockets were severely burnt too.

To many, scrapbooking is an time-wasting, arty farty tool, tailor-made for the tai-tais to spend their lazy afternoons with. I beg to differ. For one thing, not all tai-tais have the patience and passion to complete this task. It takes a lot of perseverance to choose material, pick colours, select photos and create a good theme. In fact I think the last element is the most crucial and most difficult. I can still remember how many hours I spend at "Made with Love" and "Laine's Papeterie" to select cheap and good materials. Desperation even drove me to "Spotlight" which surprisingly sells economical versions of those sold at the two shops. I spent so much time, emphasising on the details, analysing the value for money and finally restrict myself to get only those material I really needed.

At last, my efforts paid off. My favourite will have to be this:




It took me about one whole day to finish and it is the second time I did one which can be hang up on the wall. I especially like the lace details. And of course, this went straight to my dearest =). The first hanging scrap was actually a 32nd anniversary one for my parents, inspired by a nostalgic post on http://www.madewithlove.com.sg/.


I manage to do one for my dear niece Paige, just before I started work. I managed to use some recycled material too (the stems of the flowers are from the handles of a paper bag). Actually I like it a lot, it has a great theme and a nice colour combination. And she is REALLY a gorgeous little angel.


It has been a quite long while since I last scrapbooked. Maybe 2 months? Now my tool box, and remaining material are all lying quietly in one corner on my working table. About there. I hope that patience and time will be on my side, and I can start indulging, again. And my inspiration has just arrived: Baby Matthew.

1 comment:

Ani said...

Yoz QH! Welcome to the blogging world!

Wa... so colourful :) Good that you found a hobby that evokes passion :D

What a coincidence... I just received a Kevin Kern score from my teacher, and you are also playing Kevin Kern in the background. Not sure if you read up on the pianist... He is indeed inspirational..