Sunday, December 28, 2008

Count Your Blessings

Last week, I attended the wake of a colleague from NYP. I have not met him before as he was already on medical leave when I joined NYP. But through brief sessions MSN few months ago, I talked to him and found out that he contracted 3rd stage stomach cancer, at the age of 33. He also had the whole of his stomach removed and will be undergoing chemotherapy. I remembered that I told him about my mum's condition and encouraged him to stay positive and strong.

Cancer, is a terrible disease. If one is lucky, you may discover it at early stage and one can be completely cured without going through tedious and costly chemotherapy. But cancer can be hereditary and some cancers are virtually symptom-less until they reached late stages and there are simply no medical checkups that can detect them early such as brain or liver cancer. Even for stomach and colon cancer, they can be easily mistaken as day to day illnesses like gastric and indigestion unless one goes for endoscopy or colonscopy.

Although I have not seen this colleague face to face, I was really very sad to see him go so suddenly. He has two very young kids less than 3 years old and it must be very difficult for his family to cope with his departure.

To all...Eat healthy, exercise regularly and relieve yourself from everyday stresses. Stress and cancer has a very strong correlation. Encourage your parents for colonscopy as colon cancer is the LEADING cancer killer in Singapore. Do cherish the ones you love and count your blessings everyday. In any case, we are very lucky to be healthy and well today.

1 comment:

Ani said...

Sigh, three years ago, I also attended the wake of a colleague, who was one of my cube-mates. We were all very close, and had so much fun joking together and playing all kinds of crazy pranks. But we all knew he was very ill from multiple complications due to cancer.

I couldn't stop crying when we were informed of his passing, because I felt that I could have stopped him from taking the crabs, which caused his water-retention, and finally his hospitalisation before his death. But I guess there was really nothing we could have done to prevent his demise. It could have been crabs, it could have been anything...

Our colleagues will be missed dearly. Every morning when I wake up, I celebrate life, seeing my turtle making a splash, and myself in the mirror. Indeed, we should be thankful that we are well and alive :D