Sunday, December 7, 2008

Run My Own Race

Just 10 hours ago, I completed my third 10km run in my life. This year, there were many differences from SCSM 2007:

(1) Due to the construction of Marina Integrated Resort and completion of Marina Barrage, the original route which is covered with raintrees at Marina Bay was changed to an alternative route along AYE. My god, that is a real killer not only because of the glaring sun, the noise from the construction sites, the path was uphill most of the time.

(2) Due to economic crisis (I suspect!) the drinking stations were downgraded. There used to be many stations proving ice cold 100 plus but today most of the stalls supplied only "Ice Mountain" mineral water.

(3) I had ample warm up before the race, as Desmond was participating in the earlier race which starts at 730am. As we were late, we ran all the way from Peninsula Plaza to Esplanade and that gave me a good kick-start.

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed this year's run. Some of the runners have really motivational messages on why they are running, pinned to the back of their jerseys. And some of them really touched me with their determinations:

(1) We are running for XXX. He is now fighting cancer.
(2) I am 50 this year. It is now or never.
(3) I feel good with men chasing me.

I was initially worried about my knees aching during the run, but it was my upper thighs which gave me the most problems today, despite having warmed up reasonably well =(. My main focus was to continue running and not let the surrounding runners and cramping thighs demoralise me.

And of course, you are my inspiration and motivation to complete the race =)

No comments: